also known as the Bismark Tavern
6-10 South 25th Street

The Bismark Tavern was open as far back as the late 1930s. The Bismark, was just off of Federal Street on 25th, a one story building, it's masonry exterior painted tan in the 1950s and 1960s. 

The Bismark appears to have first operated as a bar after the repeal of Prohibition. In 1939 Amos E. Oatman and Joseph J. Meehan were the licensees. A 1943 advertisement in the St. Joseph Church Golden Jubilee Yearbook shows that Joseph Meehan was the proprietor.

The 1947 Camden City Directory states that Robert J. Taylor and Edward Coach were the owners.  Jesse Keller Sr. acquired the bar in the 1950s, and his son, Jesse Keller Jr. later took over management. The Bismark closed its doors in the early 1980s. Jesse Keller moved to Forked River NJ, where he passed away in 1994, survived by his wife Evelyn.

The Bismark is no longer standing as of 2004.


Camden Courier-Post
February 24, 1938

Eagles Hall
Washington Street



Hi-Hat Club - Bridge Cafe - Kernan's Cafe- Harry's Taproom - Clancy's Cafe - Big Ed's Place
Larry's Cafe - Lynch's Cafe - Morgan's Cafe - Nittinger's Cafe
Big Horn Cafe - Jack's Grille - Cooperson's Auto Body - Scotty's Thist'es
Vari's Cafe -
Davalo's Cafe - Bush's Cafe - La Victoria - Shantytown Cafe - Billy's Cafe
Phil Hart's Cafe -
Pavonia House - White Owl Inn - George's Grill - Dick's Rendezvous
Dragon Inn - Royal Inn -
Bismark Cafe
Ginger's Cafe - Daly's Cafe - Kenure's Cafe - Knauer's Cafe - Oaklyn Inn - Bellevue Inn
Fourteenth Ward Democrat Club - Blanche's Cafe - Duke Gartland's - Regan's Cafe
Bettlewood Cafe - Mulvihill's Cafe - Barrington Cafe - Chews Landing Hotel - Blackwood Cafe
Laurel Inn - Starr's Cafe - Gruber's Inn - Welcome Inn - Somerdale Bowling Alley

St. Joseph's Church
Golden Jubilee Yearbook


Inside the Bismark

Unknown saxophonist

Evelyn Probst Keller

Jesse Keller Sr. on drums

Unknown piano player

Photo courtesy of Tom Probst


Pocket Mirror & Note Pad

We know about WHEN 
because it has a Zip Code

is a question

In 1943 the address was
10 South 25th Street

By the late 1950s
12-14-16 So. 25th Street
is the address 

Did the bar move
perhaps in the early 1950s?

Thanks to Tom Probst and Charlie Moy for their help with this page.

Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden