CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
1176 Van Hook Street
The building at 1176 Van Hook Street appears to have been erected sometime after 1947. The 1956 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory indicates the bar was then known as the HWJ Tavern. By 1959 the bar was known as the Avalon Bar.
1n 1967 the owners of the bar, according to the liquor license application, was the H.W.J. Tavern Corporation, whose officers at that time were Roy J. Peterson, Anna M. Peterson, and Clinton E. Peterson, all of 810 North 32nd Street in Camden's Cramer Hill district.
The Avalon Bar remained open at 1176 Van Hook as late as 1982. In the 1990s the building was the home of Imani's Hair Salon.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE