524 Jefferson Street
(Southwest Corner of Fillmore & Jefferson Streets)

In the days before Prohibition was in 1919, there were two bars at the intersection of Fillmore and Jefferson Streets. John B. Bouillion was in business at 524 Jefferson Street, while  Joseph Schneider operated a saloon across the street at 1939 Fillmore Street. Schneider sold his bar after Prohibition was enacted, and left the saloon business. 

John B. Bouillion passed away prior to April of 1930. By the time the 1930 Census was enumerated, Caroline Bouillion, his widow, operated the cafe with her son Nicholas and daughter Stella. In October of 1936, Blanche Cook acquired the bar from Mrs. Bouillion. Blanche Cook renamed the bar, calling it, appropriately enough, the Blanch Cafe. Blanche Cook later wed, and the 1947 City Directory indicates that the bar was owned by Blanche Peacock and her husband Harry H. Peacock. Blanche operated the bar, while her husband worked as the yardmaster for the Pennsylvania Railroad in Camden.

Harry Peacock was born in Pilesgrove Township, Salem County NJ on February 23, 1891 to Albert and Mary Peacock. In January of 1920 he was still living in Pilesgrove Township NJ, working as a telegraph operator for the railroad. By April of 1930 Harry Peacock was living with his widowed mother, Mary, and brother John, in Woodstown NJ, and still employed as a railroad telegrapher. He later moved to Camden, where he operated the bar with his wife. The Peacocks moved from Camden after the October 1956 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory was compiled, after selling the bar. Harry Peacock spent the last years of his life in Toms River NJ. He passed away in November of 1978.

 Albert Angelo and Edward Benko acquired 524 Jefferson Street in the 1950s. The bar was renamed the An-Be Tavern. Albert Angelo had passed by 1967, when the liquor license was up for renewal, his family however, still retained an interest in the bar at that time.  Edward Benko died in 1988. The bar was still known as the An-Be Tavern until August of 2003, when David Gonzalez of East Camden purchased the building, remodeled the bar, and re-opened it as the El Bohio Bar and Grill

An-Be Tavern - August 2003
The bar had just been sold

Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden