aka The Majestic Restaurant
318 Market Street 

The Stag Cafe operated in Camden at 318 Market from the early 1900s through at least 1939. The 1947 Camden City Directory shows the bar was then operating as the Majestic Restaurant. 

Levi Bacharach was operating a cigar store in Camden as early as 1870. By 1880 he owned and operated a shop at 318 Market Street, where he remained in business through at least 1891. 

Timothy Donovan owned and operated The Stag as early as 1918 through at least 1921. Donovan was 63 at the time of the 1920 Census, and does not appear in the next census. 

Fred J. Stuebing had the bar in 1933, and when Prohibition was repealed, obtained a beer license in Jne of 1933. The bar was still called the Stag Cafe, and appears in the 1936 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory.  An Elizabeth Miller is listed at the address in the 1940 City Directory. No listing appears for 1943, while by 1947 the address is shown as the Majestic Restaurant. The Majestic Restaurant remained at 318 Market Street as late as 1956. It is not listed in the 1959 New Jersey Bell Directory.

For most of its existence The Stag sat in the middle of a block with prominent Camden lawyers at either end and across the street, and one can only conjecture if the cafe and its restaurant successor was a meeting place of Camden's barristers. 

Market Street

about 1910

Click on Image to Enlarge

Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden