In Honored Glory!


World War II Honor Roll

Carlton P. Hogan

Captain, U.S. Army Air Forces


322nd Fighter Control Squadron

Entered the Service from: New Jersey
Died: November 27, 1943
Missing in Action or Buried at Sea
Tablets of the Missing at North Africa American Cemetery
Carthage, Tunisia
Awards: Purple Heart

CAPTAIN CARLTON P. HOGAN was the son of Patrick A. and Mary A. Hogan. Born in New Jersey in June 14, 1903, he was the fourth of six children. By the time of the 1900 census, his father owned a farm on Burlington-Mount Holly Road in Westhampton Township, Burlington County NJ. While his father was a farmer, education was a major theme in the Hogan family. In 1930, eldest daughter Clara was a teacher, son Michael a salesman for a cement company, son Cornelius a dentist, Carlton a doctor, daughter Kathleen a teacher, and only the then 19 year old son James J. still working on the dairy farm. James would follow his older brother into medicine, and would serve with the Navy during World War II. 

Dr. Hogan was a graduate of St. Joseph College and the Hahneman Medical College in Philadelphia PA. He interned at West Jersey Hospital on Mount Ephraim Avenue at Atlantic Avenue in Camden NJ. He married, and was living with his wife Isabel Muldoon Hogan in Burlington NJ, where he practiced medicine beginning in 1932. By the time he joined the Army the Hogan family included three children, Isabel, Clare, and Carlton Jr.

Dr. Hogan answered his countries call to service in August of 1942, and was assigned as the medical officer for the 322nd Fighter Control Squadron. By the late summer of 1943, he was stationed with his unit at Bradley Field in Connecticut. Slated for duty in the China-Burma-India Theater, he was sent to North Africa in the fall of 1943. 

The 322nd Fighter Control Squadron shipped out to North Africa on a Liberty ship out of Norfolk VA. The 322nd arrived in North Africa in early November. On November 26, 1943 his unit was aboard a British transport, the HMT Rohna, destined for India via the Suez Canal. Sailing out of Oran, Algeria, the Rohna was attacked by German aircraft.

At approximately 5:00 the Rohna was struck by an airplane launched guided missile. The Rohna sank, taking 1015 American soldiers to their death, Captain Carlton P. Hogan being one of those lost.

A survivor, Sergeant Aaron Weber, a radio operator with the 322nd Fighter Control Squadron, saw Captain Hogan on deck, performing his duties amidst the chaos. He wrote the following of Captain Hogan in 2002:

"The last I saw of him before I abandoned ship was him attending to the wounded."  

Another, more telling story was related by an eye-witness to Major William Wilson, who served in a unit attached to that of Captain Hogan's. Major Wilson stated that he was told Captain Hogan gave his lifejacket to a wounded soldier who had lost his, knowing full well it would mean his own death. This selfless act is identical to the well known "Four Chaplains" incident, when after the troopship USS Dorchester was torpedoed in the North Atlantic, four Army chaplains gave their lifejackets to soldiers. A letter that Major Wilson wrote, and two other letters from those who served with him, are reprinted below. 

Captain Carlton P. Hogan' body was not recovered. His death was reported in the December 30, 1943 edition of the Camden Courier-Post. He is memorialized at the North Africa American Cemetery in Carthage, Tunisia, and at the family plot in Mount Holly NJ. 

Burlington County Mirror - December 9, 1943

This letter was sent to Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Hogan who lived on the Burlington-Mt. Holly Road in Mt. Holly, N. J. It was published in the Burlington County Mirror, a local newspaper, on December 9, 1943. The family was unaware that at the time the letter was published that Carl had lost his life on November 26, 1943, on the Rohna. 

- Maryanne Beitel, March 2006

November, 1943

Dear Mother and Father,

I am feeling fine. Won't be home this weekend, being just 4086 miles away, at Oran, No. Africa.

The past six weeks have been a revelation to me, from the time we came aboard. I could never imagine there was so much water. Coming across I was the only doctor aboard, hence had extra duty as ship surgeon, which gave me extra privileges and a good state room with very good food.

The third day out it was necessary for me to operate for an acute appendix, quite a novelty on the high seas, bobbing around on the ocean in a storm. Everything went nicely and there was a complete recovery. Captain Bergh was a good old skipper, having sailed and navigated the world for the past 50 years. We got to be good friends and I often visited with him in his suite. At the end of the journey he gave me a nice letter thanking me for my services.

We landed in a town in North Africa, very pretty and mountainous, with flat farm ground in between. The climate here is about like home on the first of October. The natives are Spanish, French and Arab. The ground appears very rich; acres and acres of vineyards, planted in rows, like cultivated blueberry vines in America.

If anyone had the modern farm equipment here he could raise bumper crops with little effort. As it is, these natives have a little plow, with one horse in front of another; very tedious, but they are apparently satisfied with their methods.

The town is a jumbled-up dilapidated old place; the houses are of stone, with stone walks all around them, probably for protection. There is quite a modern Catholic church, with a French priest, and we expect to go every Sunday while here. At present I am visiting Oran, in North Africa a much bigger city, rich in history.

For entertainment there are the Officers' Club, Red Cross and movies. There isn't a thing here worth buying - ≠- could get the same things at Woolworth's.

We are living in tents but with the previous training we had it is quite comfortable. The food is good so I have continued to be in the best of health although I'll sure be glad when this mess is over and I can come home.

Don't be too anxious about me. I am sure I can ride out this storm as I have many others.

It is possible we may visit India for awhile; then across the Pacific home. That will be the day. This war seemed to be moving slowly for awhile but there will be a day in the near future when it will be over.

Your loving son, 


322nd Fighter Control Squadron
APO 627 070 Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

3 March 1944

Dear Mrs. Hogan:

It is with deepest regret that I write this to you, for hardly can I help to relieve the sorrow you must have for the misfortune that befell your husband, Capt. Carlton Hogan. Censorship regulations prevent me from enlightening you in any way as to the cause of your husband being listed as missing in action

No doubt this time you have received additional word from the War Department that helped to clarify the status to you.

No additional word has reached us or you can be sure that it would be in turn conveyed to you.

Capt. Hogan, your husband, was a fine officer and is greatly missed by myself and members of this organization. He was more than an officer to me for he was a real friend.

Please accept the expression of sympathy from both myself and members of this organization and if at anytime I may be of assistance to you in matters of either a business or personal nature, do not hesitate to write.


Captain. Air Corps
Commanding Offioer

Somewhere in China

My dear Mrs. Hogan,  

My not writing you sooner than the present days is not one of not wanting to write you, but because of Army regulations on our experiences have not been permitted to relate.  

I canít believe how unhappy I am in sharing your great loss of the good Doctor. I still donít believe it, but it is so all we can do is recall all the swell things about Doc. How much his tremendous personality meant to the squadron his wide and efficient talents as a wonderful man in his profession, I can say without reservation his absence will be sorely missed by everyone he came in contact with. 

I wish I was permitted to tell you exactly what has happened, but I cannot. The War Department will not allow any of us to tell anything.  

Again I say my deepest sympathies to you and your family.  

With kindest regards,

Lieutenant Sam. B. Rosenfield
322 F. C. 8.
APO 627
New York, N.Y.


Lost His Life In Sea Action
First Burlington Physician to Give Life in This War

Burlington's first doctor to give his life for his country in World War II is Captain Carlton P. Hogan, 39, of 207 East Union Street, Burlington.

He was officially declared dead as of November 27 by the War Department in a telegram to his wife Mrs. Isabel Muldoon Hogan, Tuesday morning. It said a letter would follow.

Captain Hogan, who practiced medicine in Burlington for 11 years before entering the Army Medical Corps in August 1942,  was first reported missing since November 26 in a telegram to his wife December 29.

A letter from the War department March 26, explained that Captain Hogan was still missing after a convoy in the Mediterranean, of which his boat was a part was attacked by the enemy. It also revealed it was late at night, and the sea was rough, and, as the result of enemy action, the Burlington Doctor was missing.

It is now believed the boat on which Captain Hogan was a passenger was hit and sunk rapidly and that he lost his life by drowning despite the fact he was a strong swimmer.

Loss is Coincidence

Strange as it seems, Burlington now has lost one doctor in each World War I and World War II, both of whom were Captains in the Army Medical Corps.

Captain James MacFarland, for whom the American Legion Post No. 79, is named was the Burlington Doctor to die in France in the first war. He was the only member of Burlington Elks Lodge, No 996, BPOE, to lose his life in World War I.

November 23, 1944

Dear Mrs. Stanley and Family, 

Long time no letter. I should feel ashamed of myself for not writing. Helen said you did not receive my letter telling you I had received your second medal. My outfit has led a charmed life so far. Have not had a man killed or even wounded by bombing or strafing. There have been many close shaves but it just has not been our turn as yet. While I think of it there was a medical officer from Trenton named Hogan, on a transport that was sunk off Cape Bon, North Africa, I was talking to another officer who was on the ship at the time. That was the one we lost so many men on and was announced last spring. The part I am leading up to is that Hogan gave his life belt to an enlisted man who had lost his when the torpedo hit. Hogan never was found after the boat went down. I believe he was captain. I am sure he was married and had a family because the men who knew him told me how much he thought of his family. Men do strange things but no medical officer ever gave more than Hogan did when he gave his life belt to a boy who had been hurt; and had lost his. I only hope it saved the boy's life. The only reason I am writing this is that you may know him or his family and his children would like to know how their father came to make the supreme sacrifice and how utterly he disregarded his own safety. The medical profession should feel proud to have had such a man. If you know the family tell them no man ever did a braver deed, because giving away your life belt on a rough sea when the boat is sinking is just sure death. God must have a special place reserved for such people. This was told to me in India the night before I flew the hump into China.


William Wilson
Service SC
315 Service Group
APO 210

New York

Note sent to Phil Cohen by Aaron Weber, Rohna survivor,
after the
Rohna Memorial Service was held in Camden in June of 2002

For information, visit the Rohna Survivors Memorial Association's Web site at: