WILLIAM E. JAECKEL was born on June 6, 1888 in Philadelphia, Pennyslvania to William F. and Anna Hamel Jaeckel. His father was a barber. The family had come to Camden by 1900, when they lived at 126 York Street. The 1906 Camden City Directory shows him living with his parents at 611 Elm Street, working as a freight handler.

The 1910 Census shows that William E. Jaeckel was not living at his parents home. His parents and siblings Mary, 24, Lottie, 21, and Albert 17 were living at 216 State Street in North Camden. Also at home were his sister Florence Genther, sadly already widow, and her daughter Elinor. Shortly before the census was taken, William E. Jaeckel had married Ada Williams. The couple, who were childless at the time, lived with her parents, Joseph and Sarah Williams, at 52 Volan Street in Merchantville, New Jersey. William E. Jaeckel worked as a house painter. By the end of 1910 William and Ada Jaeckel had moved to Camden, taking up residence with his parents at 216 State Street.

The 1914 City Directory shows William and Ada Jaeckel living with his parents at 427 Haddon Avenue through September of 1918. William E. Jaeckel was then working as a case filler for Elmer Deputy, who had a business in the 100 Block of Arch Street.

The 1920 Census shows William E. Jaeckel living with his parents at 726 Washington Street. Ada Jackel was not living there, and it is possible that she may have died during the flu epidemic of late 1918. William E. Jaeckel was again working as a painter. Also at home were his widowed sister Florence Genther along with Florence's daughter, Elinor. Later that year, on August 23, William E. Jaeckel was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He reported for duty on September 16, 1920 with Engine Company 9, based in East Camden at North 27th Street and Federal Street. William Jaeckel served at Engine for over 30 years. 

William Jaeckel was still residing with his parents at the Washington Street address when the 1924 City Directory was compiled. By 1927 William Jaeckel was married and living with his wife, Emma, at 122 South 24th Street. The 1929 Directory shows they had moved to 512 Newton Avenue. They were still at that address when the Census was taken in April of 1930.

The 1940 City Directory show William Jaeckel and his wife Emma at 937 North 20th Street. He moved briefly to Pennsauken in the spring of 1942 before returning to Cramer Hill. The 1943 and 1947 Directories indicates that they had moved to 2709 River Avenue. Fire Department records show an address of 2209 River Avenue, this may be the result of an error in transcription. 

On January 4, 1951, William E. Jaeckel was detailed to Commissioner E. George Aaron's office. On January 31, 1951 William E. Jaeckel retired on pension from the Camden Fire Department. 

William Jaeckel is listed in the October 1956 and October 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory at 1113 North 17th Street. He later moved to Pennsauken, New Jersey. William Jaeckel passed away at a nursing home in Hainesport, New Jersey in November of 1961. He is buried at Bethel Cemetery in Pennsauken.

Philadelphia Inquirer
December 12, 1900

York Street
North Baptist Church
Rev. Dr. A.G. LAwson


World War I Draft Card

World War II Draft Card

Hook & Ladder Company 3, Hose & Chemical Company 1 & Engine Company 9 - 1924

Hook & Ladder Company 3: Captain Joseph B. Ayres, FF Dave Humphries, Al Dukes, John Mulligan, Bill Mountney, Bill Hopkins. Hose & Chemical Company 1: Captain Charles H. Robinson, FF William E "Pud" Jaeckel, George Townsend, Ken Naylor, Howard Gick. Engine Company 9: Captain John H. Vickers, FF Irv Lederman, Newton Ash, Joe Gentlesk, Al Palmer

Camden-Courier-Post - March 13, 2006

Camden Courier-Post *  November 30, 1961