SAMUEL H. MORTON was born May 18, 1810 in Gloucester County, New Jersey, which then included what is now Camden County. Camden County was formed in 1844. He married Lydia Sharp Sweeten on November 15, 1832. The Morton's
soon moved to Camden, and in March of 1834 a daughter, Mary Ann Morton
(1834–1915) was born. Four more children followed, Charles Smith
Morton (1836–1850), Andrew Sweeten Morton (November 11, 1838–1907), Samuel H. Morton
Jr. (1842–1882), and William B. Morton (1845–1898).
Samuel H. Morton was carpenter by trade, and in time he became involved in building and contracting. He also was involved with the Camden Fire Insurance Association for a number of years.
In 1845 Samuel H. Morton was a member of Camden's Board of Education, which then included Franklin Ferguson, Joseph C. De La Cour, Philander C. Brinck, Jesse Smith, Joseph Taylor, David Brown,
Dr. Isaac S. Mulford, and Thomas Chapman.
The 1850s were a difficult time for Samuel H. Morton. Son Charles Smith Morton passed away around 1850, and his wife Lydia Sharp Sweeten died around 1854. On March 19, 1856 he married Mary S. Fields in Camden, sadly, she too passed away not long after the wedding.
On June 17, 1858 in Camden he married Caroline Morris, who was about 20 at the time. They would go onto have four children, Caroline Morris "Carrie"
Morton (January 6, 1860), Annie Morton (1862–1927), Horace R Morton (June 1864–1944), Olive
B. Morton (November 8, 1870–?).
The Mortons lived in what was then Camden's Middle Ward, and it is likely that they were living at 328
Avenue before 1860. Samuel H. Morton served two one year terms (1860 and 1861) as a Camden County freeholder representing the Middle Ward. The 1863 Camden City Directory, which was the first one published shows the Mortons at the 328
Records from the Civil War indicate that Samuel H. Morton Jr. enrolled as a Corporal with Company D of the
24th New Jersey Volunteers
regiment on September 2, 1862. He mustered in with his regiment at Beverly, New
Jersey on September 16, 1862. Corporal Morton saw combat at the Battle of Fredericksburg in December of
1862. He was discharged at Finley U. S. Army General Hospital, Washington, D.
on January 7, 1863.
By 1860 Samuel H. Morton was serving on the Board of Directors of the Camden Mutual
Insurance Association (later and better known as the Camden Fire Insurance Association)
He served as Surveyor for the Association from 1861 through 1870. As a director he served alongside
Edward Daugherty, Edmund E. Read, Joab Scull, Henry Fredericks, John Ross, William P. Tatem, Jonathan Burr,
Christopher J. Mines
Sr., Ralph Lee, John S. Read, Henry B. Wilson
Sr., Charles Wilson, Josiah D. Rogers, James H. Stevens, Clayton Truax, Jesse E. Huston and Thomas A. Wilson. He was still a Director as late as 1873.
Samuel H. Morton at a young age became a member of the first Methodist church in Camden, which was simply known as "The Methodist Episcopal Church of Camden", at
Streets. In 1834 a new building was erected on South 3rd Street north of
Avenue, and the Mortons were among the original members. This church became known as
The Third Street Methodist Episcopal
Church, from its location. Samuel H. Morton was quite active in the church. He was a class leader and served as a trustee in 1865. This church built a new building at 301
South 6th Street in the mid-1890s and was renamed
First Methodist Episcopal
Samuel H Morton Jr. passed away on August 10, 1882 in Camden. Samuel H. Morton Sr. died on March 13, 1892 in Camden. He was joined by his wife Caroline
February 27, 1894. .