REVEREND WILLIAM GRUM was born July 14, 1878 in Camden NJ to Benjamin and Caroline "Carrie" Grum. His early years were spent at 215 Market Street, where his father had a confectionary. He grew up as a member of Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church. The family had moved to 544 Vine Street by 1900, Benjamin Grum worked then as a letter carrier, a position he would hold until his retirement in the 1920s. William Grum married in the early 1900s. His wife, the former Lena Purdy, bore him two children, daughters Lena and Beatrice. Benjamin and Carrie Grum. were still living at 544 Vine Street in April of 1930 when the Census was enumerated. Mrs. Grum remained at the address after her husband passed, and was still living there in the fall of 1933.
By 1912 William Grum had entered the ministry. He pastored at Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church and at Kaighn Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church in Camden, and at the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Gloucester City NJ, where he was stationed when the Census was taken in January of 1920. The family home was at 335 Main Street. When daughter Beatrice Crum graduated from Camden High School in 1923, the family was back in North Camden, living at 547 Vine Street.
By 1930 Rev. Grum had been sent to serve at the Woodlynne Methodist Episcopal Church in Woodlynne NJ. The Grum family made their home in April of 1930 at 2220 Woodlynne Avenue, the corner of Woodlynne Avenue and Linden Street, in Woodlynne. Sadly, Reverend Grum died suddenly while visiting his mother at the family home at 544 Vine Street in 1931.
A talented musician, singer, and composer of religious music, his best known composition perhaps is the hymn "Victory Ahead", written in 1905. Reverend William Grum also had talent as a painter. He had completed a large painting, "The Old Rugged Cross", which stood 15 feet wide by 18 feet tall, shortly before his death. The painting was presented to the Bible class at the Kemble Methodist Episcopal Church in Woodbury NJ in the spring of 1932.
Reverend Grum's father, Benjamin Grum, passed away on May 31, 1933.
|Camden Post-Telegram - October 17, 1912|
LAST HONORS TO FIREMAN BUZINE
Great crowds last night and today viewed the remains of Fireman Lewis Buzine who was fatally stricken with paralysis last Thursday while driving No. 3 engine. The body was exposed to view at his late home, 1606 Broadway, where services were held this afternoon.
night nearly one hundred members of the Eighth Ward Republican Club
were in attendance and paid their last respects. This afternoon the
services were conducted by Reverend
William Grum, pastor of the Trinity M. E. Church.
Chief George Cox
was in charge of the detail of firemen, numbering nearly fifty, every
company being represented by one or more members, which acted as an
escort to the body as it passed through the streets to New Camden
Cemetery. The pallbearers were members of No. 3 Engine
Company in charge of Captain Nicholas.
room was filled with choice floral designs. The Eighth Ward Republican
Club sent a large star and crescent. The design from the Firemen’s
Mutual Benevolent Association was a large circle with a big "5" in the
center, being the number of the local lodge. Members of No. 3 Engine
Company of which Mr. Buzine was driver, sent a three-foot
circle of white chrysanthemums and asters designed as a clock and
bearing the inscription "The Last Alarm". The big figures "83"
designated the number of the box from which the alarm came and in the
center was the dial of a clock with the hands pointing to 1:32, the
time the company left on what proved to be Buzine’s last run.
There were also many floral tributes from the family. The funeral arrangements were in charge of George Blake.
June 17, 1915
Camden Courier-Post - December 2, 1930
| Walter P. Ellis - Charles H. Ellis - Wilbur B. Ellis - Percy Ellis
Rev. Cedrick Hickman - Reverend William Grum - Rev. Carlton Van Hook
Howard Amer - Elwood Hoey - Stacy Myers - Frank Landolt - Steven Collins - C. Luther
First Methodist Episcopal Church - Eighth Street Methodist Episcopal Church
Robert Payne - Ephraim Helmse - Albert Scott - Harry Reier - George W. Johnson
North 4th Street - East Octagon Road
|Camden Courier-Post - March 1928, 1932|
CHURCH WILL RECEIVE PAINTING BY REV. GRUM
An oil painting by the late Reverend William Grum, pastor of Woodlynne M. E. Church, called the "Old Rugged Cross" will be presented to the Kemble M. E. Bible Class, Woodbury, Wednesday night at Holy week services.
Reverend Grum was pastor of Kaighn Avenue and First Church, Gloucester, before going to Woodlynne. He was a composer of sacred music, musician and singer, as were all members of his family. He completed the oil painting a year ago, a few months before he died suddenly at the home or his mother at Fifth and Vine Streets. It is said to be a masterpiece, standing 15 by 18 feet.
Elijah made a sacrifice
|Camden Courier-Post - June 1, 1933|
BENJAMIN GRUM, RETIRED MAIL CARRIER
Grum was a mail carrier 35 years until he retired eight years ago. He
lived at 544
son fell dead in his home a few years ago while pastor of Woodlynne M.
E. Church. He had served in other pastorates in Camden and vicinity.
The father is survived by his wife, Carrie, and one granddaughter, Charlotte.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE