LILLIAN BOYER ELLIS was born to Mr. and Mrs. George E. Boyer in 1892. Her family moved to 708 Market Street in Camden, New Jersey when she was three months old. She lived at that address until the spring of 1967, when she was forced out by Camden's city government to make way for a proposed building to house New Jersey Bell Telephone. Unlike many other projects that city undertook, this building was actaully built and remains in use as of 2009.

Camden Courier-Post * March 22, 1967

A Lifetime of Memories 
City House to Be Razed for Bell Building

Courier·Post Staff

THE HOUSE literally holds a lifetime of memories for Mrs. Lillian Boyer Ellis. 

It's a neat, narrow, three story dwelling that sits back from, Market Street and fits snugly between two converted office buildings. The gay yellow paint on its frame and the red trim gives a splash of color to that section of down town.

Mrs. Ellis was three months old when George E. Boyer moved his family of nine to 708 Market Street.

OTHER members of her family gradually left and her parents died, but Mrs. Ellis stayed on. After more than 75 years of living in that house, Mrs. Ellis had to leave. 

She moved the other day for the first time in her life - and it was hard; very hard. - The nine rooms were filled with antiques and family mementos.

About 20 years ago she had moved her business- which involved hair and scalp care- from the Walt Whitman Hotel to her home. In addition to her furniture, there was all of that equipment to dispose of. 

MRS. ELLIS really isn't unhappy about going out of business. She had been anxious to sell her franchise for some time, and the city’s Urban Renewal Department will give her a small business relocation payment. 

But it was her house that mattered. She's been relocated to Park View Apartments, Collingswood where she has some friends. But, it will be a long time before she becomes adjusted to her small, one bedroom unit. 

Mrs. ELLIS has kept as much as she could squeeze into the new apartment, but she had to let so much of her life go. It's even hard to find room to put out the lovely cut glass and antiques she just couldn't relinquish. 

"It was a big house," she said. "People always were surprised when they came in and saw how big it really was." 

She looked around at the unpacked boxes and said: "Last night it hit me. I wanted to go home. It's a terrible feeling." 

Mrs. Ellis has no complaints about the assistance she's receiving from the city. Actually her attorney has taken care of most of the details. 

It's just that the now vacant house holds all those memories; they are pleasant memories and "I don't want to let go of them," she said. "I will just have to adjust, but I'm not keen about it.”

She looked at the bouquet of fresh flowers sent to her new apartment by relatives. "I didn't know you got flowers when you moved," she smiled. Mrs. Ellis isn't used to just sitting and she hopes to get a part-time job to fill up the days. 

In not too many days- by the middle of next month- the house at 708 Market Street will be among 10 razed to make way for the proposed$8-10 million New Jersey Bell Telephone building. 

Mrs. Ellis won't be able to avoid going by the site of her former home. Her church, the Epiphany Lutheran where her father was superintendent for 32 years, is just across the street. 

"I lived there a lifetime. I don't want to see it torn down," she said. “I just won't look over that way."