Prickitt was still living at 208 Bailey
the spring of 1884 when he was appointed to the Camden Fire
Department to serve as an extra man with the Hook & Ladder
Company, replacing William
Maguire. He served until July 1, 1885 when the Fire Department
was reorganized and eighteen of the extra men were let go.
Joseph C. Prickitt was one of that number.
C. Prickitt next appears in Camden City Directories in 1885. He
was then working as a foreman and living at 541 Cedar
the end of 1890 he had relocated to
Cramer Hill, residing at 706
Cooper Street. Cooper Street was renamed North 27th
Cramer Hill and East Camden were annexed to Camden in 1899.
Joseph C. Prickitt had begun working for the Pennsylvania
Railroad. He stayed at that address through 1897. The 1898 and
1899 City Directories show Joseph Prickitt at 2801 Arthur
Avenue. By the time the 1900 Census was taken he had moved to
728 Union Street, which was renamed North 24th Street shortly
1900 Census shows Joseph Prickitt and his wife Sarah, with
children Walter, Ralph, Clarence Raymond, and Harry.
1910 Census shows Joseph and Sarah Prickitt at 1027 North 23rd
Street in Cramer Hill. The four surviving Prickitt children were
at home, Walter E., Ralph E., Clarence Raymond, and John A.
Prickitt. He was at this time working as a watchman in a
Prickitt had passed away on March 29, 1913. His widow and sons Walter, Clarence
Raymond, and John Prickitt were still living at 1027 North 23rd
Street when the census was taken in 1920.
Prickitt was a longtime member of New Jersey Lodge No. 1,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of Camden Lodge, No. 1, Ancient
Order of United Workmen. George Reeser Prowell wrote the
following in his History of Camden County, New Jersey which was
published in 1886: