HENRY O'NEIL was appointed to the Camden
Fire Department as an extra man
Company 1 on April 5, 1882. He replaced Christian
Tenner. John H. O'Neil served with the Fire Department for
two years and was replaced when Christian Tenner was
reappointed. John H. O'Neill worked
as a laborer when appointed to the Fire
Department. He was living at 613 Henry Street during his time
with the Fire Department. He had previously worked as a floatman
on the river, and would return to work aboard ship after his
time with the Fire Department.
H. O'Neil was born in Pennsylvania in January of 1852. His family
came to New Jersey some time thereafter, as his younger brother
Bernard was born in New Jersey around 1859. John H. O'Neill was
married and living at 653 Henry Street
in Camden as early as 1878.
The 1880 Census shows him then living at the Henry Street
with his wife Kate and his brother Bernard. A son, John F.
O'Neil, was born in December of 1881.
City Directory for 1883 shows he had gone to work as a boatman for
the Pennsylvania Railroad, and was still answering calls as an
extra man with the Camden Fire Department. By 1887 John O'Neil had
been promoted by the Pennsylvania Railroad and was the captain of
one of its tugboats. The O'Neils had by this time moved to 617 Henry Street, and would remain here into 1895. The 1896 Camden
City Directory indicates that the John and Kate O'Neil and family
had moved around the corner to 447 Line
Street, and he was still a
Pennsylvania Railroad tugboat captain. When the Census was taken
in 1900 John and Kate O'Neil and their son John F. O'Neil were
still living at 447 Line
Street John F. O'Neil married around
1902. A grandson, also named John, was born in 1911.
O'Neil was still living at 447 Line
Street as late as 1914. He
passed away on May 20, 1915. The O'Neil family was still living at 447 Line Street
as late as January of 1920.
- May 23, 1915
TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE