JOHN CAMPBELL served at two different times with the Camden Fire Department. He was appointed on April 8, 1876 to serve as driver with the Hook & Ladder Company, replacing Benjamin L. Kellum. He served for one year, until Kellum was recalled in April of 1877. He was reappointed as the Fire Department's extra engineer in March of 1882, replacing Henry Grosscup. He served for two years. William Morris replaced him in April of 1884.  

As to who John Campbell was prior to joining the Fire Department and what became of him after he left is unclear, as there were several men named John Campbell in Camden during this time. His obituary states that at one time he was politically active as a Democrat from the Third Ward.

What is known is that when John Campbell was first appointed to the Fire Department he was living at 428 Spruce Street. The 1881 City Directory and fire department records from 1882 indicate that he was working as an engineer, that is, operating steam equipment, and living at 230 Taylor Avenue. He was still residing at 230 Taylor Avenue in 1883. He then was working as a moulder. He was still at that address in 1884, and had gone to work as an engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad. He had moved to 201 Taylor Avenue by 1887. The 1892-1893 and 1893-1894 Directories show him living at 12 South 2nd Street. He moved to 217 Mickle Street prior to the compilation of the 1896 City Directory. John Campbell was reported as being critically ill in December of 1896. He passed away at his home on Mickle Street on January 18, 1897.  

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 27, 1896

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 19, 1897

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 19, 1897