JOHN A. ASHTON was born in Pennsylvania in 1896. When the Census was taken, in January of 1920, John A. Ashton and his brother Francis were lodging at the house of Harry Grubb, in Trainer Borough, Delaware County PA. He was then working as a riveter in a shipyard, probably the Sun shipyard in nearby Chester PA.

John A. Ashton married at the age of 31. When the 1930 Census was taken, he and wife Miriam Y. Ashton were living at 4745 Lafayette Avenue in Pennsauken NJ. He was then working as a coffee salesman for the W.S. Quinby Coffee Company of Philadelphia, the successor to the Willett & Quinby Coffee Company.

Shortly afterwards, the Ashtons moved to 316 Boyd Street in East Camden. A daughter, Marilyn, was born in 1932. Sadly, he was killed when his car was struck by a bus on Baird Boulevard just as he was turning onto Boyd Street. Thrown from the car, he was taken to West Jersey Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Camden Courier-Post - February 10, 1933

Victim Near Home When Accident Occurs; Driver Held

John A. Ashton, 36, a salesman, of 316 Boyd Street, was injured fatally last night when his automobile and a Public Service bus collided 100 feet from his home. He died in West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital at 8:10 PM, an hour and five minutes after the crash.

The bus was driven by Joseph Clark, 50, of 504 North Fourth street. He was held in $1000 bail for the grand jury on a charge of manslaughter. The crash occurred at Boyd Street and Baird boulevard. According to Policeman Russell Young, on duty at the traffic light at Baird and Admiral Wilson boulevards, a man whose name he did not obtain told him both cars were proceeding on Baird boulevard and that Clark attempted to pass Ashton's car on the right as Ashton turned right into Boyd Street. Ashton's car was forced onto the island separating the two traffic lanes on Baird boulevard. Ashton was thrown to the road.

According to Motorcycle Policeman Thomas Welch, who arrived a moment after the accident, the bus continued a block after hitting the car before it was stopped. Ashton was picked up by Welch, who commandeered an automobile and took him to the hospital. He died of a fractured skull and internal injuries. Coroner Arthur H. Holl issued the death certificate. Lieutenant Nathan Petit, who lives nearby, assisted Welch.

Clark was arrested at the Public Service car barns by Welch and Policeman Stanley Wirtz.

Ashton was employed as a salesman for the W.S. Quinby Coffee Company, Philadelphia. He is survived by a widow, Miriam, and a daughter, Marilyn, one year old. .