JAMES AUGUSTUS RICHARDSON was born in Henderson, North Carolina on February 24, 1896 to Bois and Marie Richardson. The family had come to New Jersey by 1903, when sister Bernetta was born. The 1906 City Directory shows the Richardsons at 250 Division Street in South Camden. Bois Richardson then worked as a laborer. 

James A. Richardson was living with his mother and father at 412 Cherry Street in South Camden when he registered for the draft on June 5, 1917. He was then working as a janitor for the Camden Board of Education. James A. Richardson  married shortly afterwards and was living elsewhere by January of 1920. The 1924 City Directory shows him at 821 Mount Vernon Street, working as a porter. By the end of 1928 he had moved to 816 Mount Vernon Street. 

The 1930 Census, taken in April of that year, shows James A. Richards, his wife Ruth and their six children, Euva, Althea, Leatrice, James, Morton, and Tignell, residing at 816 Mount Vernon Street in South Camden. James A. Richardson was then working for the City of Camden as a truck driver. He was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on December 22, 1930. he reported for duty with Engine Company 1 on January 1, 1931 and spent his entire career as a firefighter with this unit, quartered at 409 Pine Street.

James A. Richardson was living at 1142 Baring Street in 1931, according to Camden Fire Department records. The 1940 Camden City Directory and the 1956 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory both show him at 1132 Baring Street.

James A. Richardson was promoted to Acting Captain of Engine Company 1 on May 23, 1953. His appointment was made permanent on May 26, 1954. James A. Richardson was living at 1143 Baring street when he retired on pension on September 1, 1958. 

James A. Richardson is not listed in the 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory. By October of 1970 he had moved to 505 East Madison Avenue in Magnolia, New Jersey. James A. Richardson passed away in April of 1971.