HUGH HATCH was born what is now Farnham Park around 1834. He was the uncle of Cooper Browning Hatch, who served as Mayor of Camden NJ from 1898 to 1902 and as the Sheriff of Camden County from 1908 to 1911. Hugh Hatch married Caroline Stone and ran a truck farm, making his home during the 1870s in the Delair section of Pennsauken Township. A son, Hugh Morgan Hatch, was born on April 14, 1873.

Hugh Hatch was best known as the co-founder, with his brother, Joseph Hatch, of the Fairview Brick Works, which had its offices in the 1880s on Kaighn Avenue and in the 1910s on Federal Street at 14th Street. Hugh Hatch remained a part of the firm until his death in 1924, at the age of 90. He was predeceased by wife Caroline, who had passed on in 1911. Hugh and Caroline Hatch rest in the Hatch family plot at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden.

Son Hugh Morgan Hatch, in September of 1911, entered into a partnership with J.R. Mick to operate an automobile dealership in Camden. The business, N.J. Auto & Supply, was primarily a Buick agency, but also sold Cadillac, Peerless, Hupmobile, Ford, and Pontiac autos at different periods through the 1920s. In 1916 the partners erected a new building on Delaware Avenue, where the business remained through February of 1942, when the agency was moved to the southwest corner of Federal Street and Wright Avenue. The business was sold to the Masson family in the 1950s, who, operating as Masson Buick, remained in Camden into the 1970s before moving to Route 70 in the eastern section of Cherry Hill NJ.

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 23, 1884

Henry B. Wilson - South Front Street - Kaighn Avenue
John Dobbins - Joseph Baymore
Hatch & Brother -
Hugh Hatch - Joseph Hatch
Joseph Baymore - John G. Webb - William R. Vasey
John Keifer - Charles Day - Mrs. Ella Anderson

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 22, 1895

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 15, 1906

1917 Camden City Directory Advertisement