ANTHONY GREENAN was born in Camden on March 20, 1892 to Willam H.
Greenan Sr. and his wife Catherine. His father and grandfather Hugh
Greenan had come to Camden after the Civil War along with uncles
Peter, Hugh, and John. Hugh
Greenan founded patented a hair plaster used in sidewalk paving and
had a manufacturing business in the 1700 block of Master Street by the
Greenan was one of at least eleven children. When the 1900 Census was
taken, only eight of the Greenan children were alive, William H. Jr.,
John J., Peter, Hugh T., Annie, Harry, Joseph, and Mary. William Greenan
Sr. worked as a teamster, as did William Jr., while John J. and Peter
were by then working as rug weavers. The family lived at 1729 Master
Street in Camden's Eight Ward.
1914 City Directory shows Harry Greenan working as a pipefitter and
living at 2003 Arlington Street with other members of the Greenan
family.On June 5, 1917 Harry A. Greenan registered for the draft. He was
then boarding at 2005 Arlington Street, and working as a
pipe fitter at the nearby New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyards.
He was still single at the time.
1920 Census shows Harry Greenan living with his father and
brothers Peter and Joseph at 687 Fairview Street. On
December 7, 1920 Harry A. Greenan was appointed to the Camden Fire
Department. He reported for duty in January 1, 1921.
1924 Harry A. Greenan had married. He and wife Victoria then lived at
737 Sylvan Street, just north of Morgan
Street. They remained at that
address through at least 1931. When the 1940 Camden City Directory was
being compiled Harry and Victoria
Greenan were living at 2540 Morgan
Boulevard. The Greenans were still at
that address as late as the spring of 1957, when, having reached the
mandatory retirement age of 65, Harry A. Greenan left the Fire
Department. The Greenans were still at 2540 Morgan
Boulevard into the 1970s. By 1977 the family was gone from