Army in March of 1864, but remained connected with
the military as an examiner of draftees and with the National Guard of
New Jersey as late as 1887.
Taylor was a founder of Camden's first hospital, the Camden Dispensary,
He served as Physician-in-Chief at the Camden Home for Friendless
Children, and was on the Board of Directors of Cooper Hospital from its
founding through at least 1897.
Taylor was on the original staff of Cooper Hospital when it
was founded in 1884, and when it was dedicated on
August 12, 1887. The four original
attending physicians were Dr.
Dillwyn Pancoast, Dr. H. Genet
Alexander M. Mecray, and Dr. William A.
Davis. The surgeons were Doctors E.L.B. Godfrey, O.P. Cross, Dowling Benjamin and
J.F. Walsh, with Dr.
Joseph H. Willis as the original pathologist and Dr. Harry B. Jarrett
serving as the first Resident Physician.
In April of 1893
Dr. Taylor was elected
President of the Board of Managers of the New Jersey Training School for
Taylor was a member and officer of many professional and fraternal
organizations. He was a charter member of Trimble
Lodge, No. 117 Free and Accepted Masons, and also was a member of the Camden County
1885 Dr. Taylor had built a home on Cooper Street, designed by prominent
Philadelphia architect Wilson Ayre, at 305-307 Cooper Street. This
house, as part of the Cooper Street Historic District, was added in 1989
to the National Register of Historic Places.
of the most noted physicians in Camden in his day, Dr. Taylor cared for
many prominent citizens, including Senator
William Joyce Sewell.
Henry Genet Taylor passed away early in 1916, survived by his wife,
Helen and a son, Henry Genet Taylor Jr. The Taylor family remained at
305 Cooper Street in Camden as late as 1959.
Willett was a longtime member of New jersey Lodge No. 1, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows and of Camden Lodge, No. 1, Ancient
Order of United Workmen. George Reeser Prowell wrote the
following in his History of Camden County, New Jersey which was
published in 1886: