CHARLES HENRY SMITH served briefly with the Camden Fire Department in the 1910s. Born on July 6, 1877, he was the eldest child of Thomas and Annie Smith. The Smiths were living at 410 Liberty Street when the census was taken in 1880. Thomas Smith was then working for one of the railroad lines as a laborer.

Charles Smith married shortly before the 1900 Census. The Census shows the couple living at 482 Line Street in South Camden. Also residing there were his father Thomas, then a widower, and younger siblings William, 17, Amanda, 14, and Albert, 4. Charles Smith then worked as a day laborer.

The 1910 Census shows Charles Smith and his wife of 10 years, Sarah, living at 211 Channing Terrace. He was then working as an electrician at the "street car barn", most likely the facility on Newton Avenue. The Smith had two children at home, Sarah, aged 9, and Charles Jr., aged 7. Another son, William, was born around 1912.

Charles Smith was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in March of 1914, replacing Edward Finley, who had died on March 5, 1914. He began work on April 1. The 1914 Camden City Directory lists him as a fireman, living at 203 Stevens Street. He was serving in East Camden in 1916. On October 1, 1917 he was transferred to Engine Company 3. By September of 1918 Charles Smith had left the Fire Department. He may have, as had a number of other men, left to take a higher paying job at the New York Shipbuilding corporation shipyard. He was by the living at 322 Mickle Street. By January of 1920 the Smiths had moved to 503 South 6th Street, where he remained into the 1940s. Charles Smith was still working at the shipyard at that time. He remained employed there into the mid-1920s. The 1927 City Directory states his occupation was conductor, and the 1929 edition gives it as operator. The April 1930 Census states that we was working for the City of Camden, although in what capacity is unclear. 

Sarah E. Smith passed away on March 9, 1941 and was buried at Calvary Cemetery in what was then Delaware Township. By the end of the 1930s Charles Smith was working for the Camden County Board of Freeholders as the assistant custodian oft the County Courthouse on Broadway between Federal Street and Market Street. He was still employed in that position when he registered for the draft in the spring of 1942. He retired not long afterwards. Charles Smith was still residing at 503 South 6th Street when he died on April 3, 1950. He was buried at Calvary Cemetery in Delaware Township (present-day Cherry Hill), New Jersey.

Philadelphia Inquirer - March 26, 1914

Joseph Nowrey
Charles McElhone
George N. Cook
O. Glen Stackhouse
Charles Smith
Edward Finley
Stevens Street
Daniel Burns
South 4th Street
Mt. Ephraim Avenue
Sheridan Street
John Shimski
William H. Day
Guarantee Realty Co.

World War I Draft Card


World War II Draft Card