BYRON H. EDWARDS was born November 2, 1892 in Leavenworth KA. He studied at Drexel Institute's evening program from 1910 to 1913, receiving his Certificate in House Construction in 1912. He also attended the T-Square Club atelier from 1920 to 1921 and by 1922 had established his own architectural office in Philadelphia. He continued to practice alone until December of 1923.

Byron Edwards partnered with Alfred Green in an architectural firm in Camden. As both partners lived in New Jersey, in 1928 they relocated their offices to Camden, where they continued there work together until at least 1958.

Among the buildings that Edwards & Green were responsible were the Chalcar apartments at 218-222 Cooper Street, the Talmud Torah building at 621 Kaighn Avenue, a commercial building at 548 Federal Street, the original Camden Convention Hall, and the John W. Mickle School Annex at South 6th and Van Hook Streets. This school building is still in use in 2004, as the Creative Arts High School.  

Byron H. Edwards last years were spent as a resident of Merchantville NJ. He died in October of 1968.

South Jersey, A History 1624-1924

BYRON H. EDWARDS—The paternal grandfather of Byron H. Edwards was one of the original settlers of Bridgeton, New Jersey, coming there from his native land, Denmark, in the days of its early history. He lived to be eighty-nine years old, passing away in 1900.

Byron H. Edwards, member of the firm of Edwards & Green, architects, was born in Leavenworth, Kansas, November 2, 1892. The family moved to Camden, New Jersey, in 1898, and here he received his early education, then entering Drexel Institute for a course in architecture. He also studied under the direction of the Societe des Beaux Arts at the "T" Square Club, Philadelphia. Mr. Edwards was associated with Steams and Castor, Philadelphia, for a year and a half; with Ballinger and Perrot, Philadelphia, for three years, and Edward Z. Scholl, at Reading, Pennsylvania, three and a half years. Then during the war for a year and a half, he gave his services to the American International Shipbuilding Corporation, located at Hog Island, Philadelphia, being released in 1919. He returned to Reading, Pennsylvania, for two and a half years, and then started business under his own name in Philadelphia, at No. 34 South 17th Street, which he continued until January 1, 1924, at which time he formed a partnership and the firm became known as Edwards and Green, with offices at Nos. 23-25 Broadway, Camden, and at No. 34 South 17th Street, Philadelphia.

Both Mr. Edwards and Mr. Green are registered architects in Pennsylvania and in New Jersey. Among the buildings for which this firm are the architects are the Cape May County Court House and Jail building, Cape May Court House, New Jersey; Delaware Township School No. 3, Delaware Township, Camden County, New Jersey; addition to the Joseph Hinchman School, same township; Convention and Exhibition Halls, Civic Center, Camden, New Jersey; Chalcar Apartment building, Camden; theater and pier, Wildwood, New Jersey; sub-post office, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Camden and Moorestown, New Jersey; Hotel Philip Baker, Wildwood, New Jersey (three hundred rooms); store and office building, No. 548 Federal Street, Camden; Community building and Natatorium, Washington, District of Columbia; John W. Mickle School Annex, southwest corner Sixth and Van Hook streets, Camden, for the Camden Board of Education; Washington Swimming Club, Washington, District of Columbia, schools at Mt. Ephraim, Bellmawr, Runnemede and Lawnside for the Center Township Board of Education, Center Township, Camden County, New Jersey.

Mr. Edwards is a member of the Camden Society of Architects, of the Camden Chamber of Commerce, the Wildwood Board of Trade and the "T" Square Club, of Philadelphia. His Masonic affiliations are with the Camden Lodge, No. 15, the Excelsior Consistory, and Crescent Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of Camden Lodge 111, Loyal Order of Moose

On September 16, 1915, Byron H. Edwards married Helen J. Schroeder, of Camden, New Jersey. Mr. Edwards is a member of the North Baptist Church, and Mrs. Edwards of the Stevens Street (Trinity Evangelical) German Lutheran Church.

Federal Street


Click on Image to Enlarge

John W. Mickle School


Click on Image to Enlarge

Cooper Street

Left: 1925

Below: February 7, 2004

Click on Image to Enlarge

The Talmud Torah Building - 621 Kaighn Avenue
1925 2003
Click on Image to Enlarge

Joseph Hinchman School
Chapel & Woodland Avenues
Delaware Township
(Cherry Hill)


Click on Image to Enlarge

Convention Hall

Photographs date from the mid 1920s; Drawing was published in September of 1925.

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post * June 1, 1932

Camden Courier-Post * May 10, 1934