CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
SAINT PETER'S & ST. PAUL'S
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Spruce Street & St. John Street
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul was organized April 8, 1867,and purchased the old church property of the Second Baptist Church at 4th and Division Streets. The church at Spruce Street and St. John Street was opened December 7, 1890. The original church and other property was sold in March 1907 to the Italian congregation of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
Saint Peter & Saint Paul
following is derived from
1867 a number of the German people of Camden, who had been worshipping
in the Church of the Immaculate
Conception, of this city, with a few
persons who had been connected with other Roman Catholic Churches, met
at the house of Anthony Kobus, at No. 419 Spruce Street. This meeting
was under the supervision of Rev. Father Joseph Thurnes, of Egg Harbor,
and was called for the purpose of appointing a committee to select and
purchase a suitable location for building a church, or a suitable
building already erected, for a place of worship. John Welsh, Valentine
Voll, Anthony Kobus and Anthony Voll were appointed as a committee. Soon
after, hearing that the church property of the Second Baptist
on Fourth Street, could be obtained, the committee purchased it for the
sum of four thousand dollars, in January 1868. After a few alterations
were made, the church was dedicated by Vicar-General McQuade, of the
Diocese of New Jersey. Rev. Father Joseph Thurnes was placed in charge,
and in a short time seventy families united with the congregation. A
Sunday school was organized, which meets in the basement of the church
building. In 1869 the committee was authorized to enlarge this building.
An extension of twenty feet to the rear was built, and other alterations
and improvements were made the same year. Rev. Father Thurnes remained
with the church until 1833. Under his care and supervision a parsonage,
schoolhouse and hall were built, and a day school established, in which
English and German were taught to a large number of pupils. Rev. Father
Francis Neubauer and Rev. Father Peter Scharoun, of the Franciscan
Order, then assumed charge of the church, and under their care the
congregation has prospered and increased, and the schools have gained in
numbers. All indebtedness on the church has been canceled. About one
thousand persons form the congregation, and three hundred children are
taught in the Sunday school and day schools. The congregation is now
preparing to erect a large and commodious house of worship.
following is from
The history of the Roman Catholic Church of SS. Peter and Paul, of which Father Hennig is rector, is interesting. In 1867, it was evident to the German Catholics of Camden, who had been worshipping in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, that they should have a church of their own. Steps were taken toward that end. On April 8 of that year a meeting was held under the supervision of the Rev. Joseph Thurnes, of Egg Harbor, to appoint a committee to either select and purchase a suitable location for a church or a suitable building already erected for a place of worship.
The committee appointed at that time made investigation, and finally purchased the church building of the Second Baptist Church, on Fourth and Division streets, in January, 1868, for $4,000. After episcopal approbation had been obtained, the new congregation was incorporated under the laws of the State of New Jersey as The German Roman Catholic SS. Peter and Paul's Church of the City of Camden, New Jersey. After alterations in the building the church was dedicated by Right Rev. Bernard J. McQuade, Vicar-General of the diocese, and afterward Bishop of Rochester, New York.
Father Thurnes took permanent charge of the parish, and in a short time the congregation counted several families. In 1869 the building was enlarged, and under the care and supervision of Father Thurnes, who remained as pastor until 1883, a parsonage and school house were also built. In 1883 Father Thurnes was transferred to St. Francis' Church in Trenton, and the Franciscan Fathers, Minor Conventuals, were put in charge of the parish.
Rev. Francis Neubauer became the first Franciscan pastor of the church. He addressed himself to the task of a reorganization and the bringing back of those who had wandered away from "their Father's house." He was very successful in his pastorate. It was during his administration that the SS. Peter and Paul's Society and St. Francis' Society were organized. He likewise introduced the Third Order of St. Francis in the parish, and was untiring in his efforts for the spiritual welfare of his flock. For nearly a score of years the faithful worshipped in the little church, when it became evident that a larger edifice was necessary. Accordingly, on June 1, 1886, it was decided to purchase a new property for the congregation. One plot was bought, but as it was unsuitable, it was sold, and after much deliberation the property at the corner of Spruce and St. John streets, the present site, was purchased, and in due time a new church was built upon it.
On Sunday morning, December 7, 1890, the church was dedicated by Bishop O'Farrell. After various changes in the pastorate, Father Hennig took up the work in September, 1915.
Inquirer - June 19, 1905
Click on Image for PDF File of Complete Article
Peter & Paul Roman Catholic Church
John Street - Spruce
Arthur Stanley - Rev. Lucius Mott - Rev. William Peberl
Very Rev. Provincial L.M. Miller
Camden Courier-Post - June 2, 1932
W. Kobus - Holy
Name Roman Catholic Church - Church
of the Sacred Heart
Ss. Peter and Paul's Roman Catholic Church - Church of the Immaculate Conception
Camden Courier-Post - July 7, 1933
ANNUAL JUNE DANCE FOR SCHOOL ALUMNI
The committee in charge includes Miss D. Carols, Miss H. Manning, Miss E. Reinhart, F. Koch, B, Daurns, R. Beyer and J. Wolf.
Camden Courier-Post * February 10, 1938
7 WIN P.T.A. AWARDS AT PAROCHIAL SCHOOL
Seven students at SS. Peter and Paul's Parochial School received awards at the school P.T.A. meeting last night during which pupils' work in a sewing contest was judged.
Aprons made by girls from every grade in the school, the second to eighth, were on display. Guest judges were Mrs. Emily Hurd and Miss Charlotte Baldwin, of the Starr School P.T.A., and Mrs. Mary Simkins, of the Parkside P.T.A.
Fully equipped sewing baskets were awarded by the school P.T.A. Those winning the awards were Patricia Bakley, second grade; Concetta Richard, third grade; Marie Moyer, fourth grade; Magdaline Wunsch, fifth grade; Eleanor Gilfillion, sixth grade; Gertrude Pulaska, seventh grade, and Emma Maley, eighth grade.
School P.T.A. members who served as hostesses were Mrs. J. Bornheimer, Mrs. L. Burke, Mrs. M. Pulaska, Mrs, C. Steiger, Mrs. W. Gray, Mrs. E. Madeline and Mrs. J. Schaeffeling.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE