CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
JOE O'BRIEN'S BAR
11 South 3rd Street
On the late 1880s and early 1890s the Camden City Directories shows that Thomas Madden was in the liquor business at 11 South 3rd Street.
By 1918 there were two bars existing side-by-side at 9 and 11 South 3rd Street. Charles Klump was the proprietor of 11 South 3rd at that time, and appears as the owner in the Camden City Directories through 1929. Charles Klump was born in New Jersey in 1881. The 1920 Census shows that he lived with his wife Marion at 1374 Haddon Avenue.
No Directory was published in 1930, but by April of that year Mr. Klump had passed away. Mrs. Marion Klump still owned the bar as late as 1934, as she is named in a Camden Courier-Post article as a tavern owner. She had by then moved to 347 Haddon Avenue in Collingswood NJ. No further directories were published until 1940, however, it appears that new management was in place by 1936.
Joseph J. O'Brien appears in the 1936 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory as operating the tavern. He also is mentioned in the "Philip A. Glass" advertising column that appeared in the Camden Courier-Post in October of 1936. "Philip A. Glass" was a pen name, the pun being "Fill Up A Glass"; the column featured snappy commentary about various bars and nightclubs throughout Camden and upper Gloucester Counties.
The bar was not listed in the 1940 Camden City Directory. The building appears to have been converted to residential use by 1947, when a porter, Culver Parsons, and his wife Helen appear in the City Directory as residing there.
October 3, 1936
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE